Thursday, April 5, 2012

Goggle Shows Off New "Augmented Reality" Glasses


Since the launch of SIRI by Apple I have been intrigued, enamored and excited about the reality, power and true possibility of  interacting with my mobile device in a more natural and integrated manner.

Google's unveiling of their new prototype digital glasses on Google+ yesterday takes interaction with your device to the next level. While the augmented reality glasses are still in testing mode the interactive capabilities are exciting and astounding. 

The Google+ page featured a 2-1/2 minute video shot from the perspective of wearing the glasses shows wearer going through a typical day walking through the streets of New York. 



While this seems like a great tool, and yes I'll buy when available, I wondered how many new You Tube videos will go viral with people walking into fountains, walls or stepping into traffic distracted by a constant visual stream of data.  In answer to this one person who used the glasses reported: “They let technology get out of your way. If I want to take a picture I don’t have to reach into my pocket and take out my phone; I just press a button at the top of the glasses and that’s it.”


Exciting technolog to say the least.

The military has been experimenting with augmented reality technology for years.  Companies like Tanagram Partners out of Chicago are developing very progressive technology - Head Mounted Display Augmented Realty gear to feed critical data between soldiers and the command center. A myriad of data can be fed to the soldiers including city layout, building blueprints, highlight members of your team and more.


NASA also announced their efforts to implement Augmented Reality technology to train pilots, astronauts and other aviation professionals to handle challenging flight situations like fog and inclement weather.

On the commercial side, Nokia has been developing Point and Find technologies that allow smart phone users to take a photo of a landmark. The photo combined with GPS coordinate data immediately identifies the landmark and feeds information to the user about the landmark and surrounding area. (Kevin Benedict talks about this in his mobile interview series

I see significant personal and commercial uses for Google's augmented reality technology. Just yesterday, while navigating through Salt Lake, I would have loved to receive navigation cues fed to my Oakley Sunglasses so I didn't have to look down at Google Maps on my iPhone.  


How about service reps managing service calls? They could have "next appointment reminders" flash on their screen notifying them of their next appointment. He could acknowledge the reminder and be navigated to their next stop with visual cues. If they are running late the service tech could give a verbal command to initiate a call to the customer.  All while keeping their hands safely on the wheel. 


Think of the information you could feed customers when they look at QR Code incorporated in to an ad, poster or banner. You could dynamically feed the customer information based on their selections. The opportunities are endless.

The challenge is humans can quickly be overwhelmed by too much data. AR implementations on the consumer side will have to be conducted in a way that make us more efficient, is accessible but unobtrusive and keeps everyone safe in process.


I'd love to hear how you see AR Glasses being used both on a personal and commercial level.


The question now,  how long do I have to wait before I can buy my new Augmented Reality Glasses?



Jody Sedrick
Follow me on Twitter: @jodysedrick and @zenewareinc





No comments:

Post a Comment